United States Marine Corps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

United States Marine Corps - Grammar Training

Go down

United States Marine Corps - Grammar Training Empty United States Marine Corps - Grammar Training

Post  Admin Tue May 08, 2012 2:45 pm

Introduction.
Please write out everything in this script, you may change the words "slightly". You will only type out what is in bold, what is in italics is information for you. what is underlined is said by the recruits when being asked a question.

Hello and welcome to the Marine Corps Grammar Training, my name is [Rank, Name] as you probably already know and I will be your trainer today.
We have to do a lot of typing in this Military, so it is important that we type and spell words correctly.
Therefore I am going to run through the basics of proper grammar, remind you of small mistakes you could make and basically help you perfect your grammar skills.

So to start with, can anyone tell me some of the basic mistakes made?

A few of the basic mistakes are:
- Not adding a full-stop/question mark to the end of a sentence.
- Not having a capital letter at the beginning of a sentence.
- Not having a capital letter on names.

When we are recruiting, which is a job that everyone in the United States Coast Guard does, it is important to use good/correct grammar. So I would like you all to give me your version of one of your introductory sentences.
For example: Hello [NAME], welcome to the United States Coast Guard, would you like a job with us today?

[CORRECT AS APPROPRIATE]

Another common mistake is the difference between their/they’re/there, can anyone tell me what each of these mean?

There – Use when referring to a place, whether concrete, “over there by the house” or more abstract, “it must be amazing living there”.
Their – Use when indicating possession, for example, “my friends have lost their ball” or “they threw all their things out the window!”
They’re – This is a contradiction of ‘they’ and ‘are’, for example, “they’re going on holiday for a few weeks”.

Everyone understand this? Okay, I would like [NAME] to give me a sentence with the word ‘their’ in it..
[PRACTICE UNTIL EVERYONE IS GETTING IT RIGHT]

Also, people sometimes get confused with your/you’re, can anyone tell me the difference?

You’re – This is a contradiction of ‘you’ and ‘are’, for example, “you’re doing it all wrong!”
Your – This is a possessive form of the word ‘you’, for example, “your dog barks so much!”

Everyone understand this? Okay, I would like [NAME] to give me a sentence with the word ‘you’re’ in it.. [PRACTICE UNTIL EVERYONE IS GETTING IT RIGHT]

Good, in the military there are a lot of words that are quite hard to spell and people often make some spelling mistakes with the ranks etc. Can anyone give me examples of these?

- Lieutenant.
- Colonel
- Warrant
- Personnel.
- Sergeant

Admin
Admin

https://usmarinecorps.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down